I’m Heidi Thompson, a marketing maven for wedding pros who want to kick ass in business and get out of the dreaded feast or famine cycle of doom. I teach these awesome entrepreneurial ladies and gents how to do amazing marketing on a tiny budget and create a consistent flow of leads because in business, it doesn’t matter how good you are at what you do if no one knows about it.
If you want to take your business to an entirely new level, you’re in the right place my friend. Need some help with your marketing and growing your business? Find out how to work with me here.
- My first business (aside from the occasional lemonade stand) was called Story Time and I helped neighborhood kids learn how to read. I love teaching and explaining.
- I’m from Detroit. Okay, I’m actually from a pretty nice suburb just outside Detroit but I love saying that to people and watching the look on their face followed by “Oh……that must be nice”. And then they usually ask me if 8 Mile is a realistic movie.
- I moved from the US to the UK in 2009 which ignited my passion for traveling. Nowadays, you can run a business and travel the world thanks to the internet. I don’t know about you, but that is crazy exciting to me.
- I have a bachelor’s degree in political science and a graduate degree in non-profit management.
- I’m a recovering overachiever. I had to learn that failing is okay and that was not easy. Before I even started school, I had an older friend who got a D and I apparently went and told my mom that I would never let that happen to me.
- I got into marketing when I volunteered to run and promote a World AIDS Day event for a charity.
- Everything I know about marketing comes from years of experience and learning from those who have mastered it in their own businesses. School just can’t teach you what self-made millionaires can.
- The idea for Evolve Your Wedding Business came to me when I was running The Alternative Wedding Fair. I kept seeing these incredible wedding professionals struggling because they weren’t getting enough business. Since my background is in marketing, I decided to do something about it.
My Geek List
- I love learning (but not school, that’s very different from learning) and reading. I actually used to ask my teachers for summer reading lists. I know I’m a total geek, but this gets even better. When I was 8 I decided to read the The Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud while lying out in the sun.
- I love musicals and I used to watch a lot of old movies as a kid. I get nostalgic watching movies like Singing In The Rain. More actors should know how to dance and sing.
- There aren’t many foods I don’t eat ketchup with. I’m pretty sure my body is at least 20% ketchup.
- Politics and social issues get me fired up and I love political satire. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report rock my world. I actually went to see The Colbert Report in New York and Stephen high-fived me. It made my week.
- I love astrophysics and quantum physics. The unknown fascinates me.
- I am a total marketing geek. I read marketing books and blogs in my spare time and I can’t even remember the last fictional book that I read. I find the psychology behind marketing and sales intriguing.
- I watch a lot of cartoons and I believe that getting old is a lifestyle choice. I’m a big fan of Spongebob Squarepants, Adventure Time, Regular Show, anything that Adult Swim produces and re-watching all of the late 80s/early 90s cartoons I grew up on.
- There is a Super Nintendo, a Sega Mega Drive and a Nintendo 64 in my living room. My husband and I try to play them regularly.
- Wayne’s World is my favourite movie of all time.
- My dad worked for Chrysler for almost 40 years so a love of cars was instilled in me from a young age. I LOVE American muscle cars. My dad used to drop me off at school in his yellow Corvette Stingray (1976-the best model year in my humble opinion) and I thought I was a total boss. It broke my heart when I had to buy a small car when I moved to the UK. If petrol were cheaper, I’d have a car with an insanely large motor.
Things People Have Said About Me
“Being in the wedding industry I get so tired of companies contacting me asking me to go on this database that database, claiming that they can do this and that for you and help your business will grow,
The first thing that struck me was that Heidi is actually a REAL person, no fancy gimmicks, NO false promises of a huge database of clients. I first found Heidi through one of my acquaintances I met at a recent wedding fair and she has been SO helpful!
When I found I had hit a few stumbling blocks, Heidi was there every time. When I emailed her she would email straight back. Her advice was absolutely brilliant – and she made me look at my client base in a different manner. I did what she said and presto I had 5 enquiries within a week!!!!
I had to email and Heidi to tell her and she emailed me back with EVEN MORE advice. As a result I’ve even changed my way I write emails to clients! I would DEFINITELY recommend her services to my suppliers,my friends in the wedding industry and any future acquaintances who are struggling in the wedding industry.
What you have to know about Heidi is like I said she is a REAL person, is very approachable and has some terrific ideas about business. It is so comforting knowing someone like Heidi is just an email away if you hit a stumbling block.”
Michelle Greyeyes www.greyeyesmakeupartist.co.uk
“When I met Heidi, I’d been in business for about a year but I didn’t really have a good understanding of marketing and wasn’t very clear on who my target market was. I was also working full-time hours in an office job and didn’t have a lot of time or cash to spend.
Heidi helped me to focus on who I’m trying to sell to, and to start building relationships with people in the industry such as wedding bloggers. She has also given me some helpful tools (like Buffer and Hootsuite) that allow me to spend less time on social media but still keep up with what’s going on. Heidi’s advice was clear and practical, unlike a lot of the jargon-filled books and blogs I’ve been reading to try and improve my understanding of good marketing practice.
Since implementing Heidi’s advice, views of my online shop have improved dramatically since this time last year, and I’ve been able to get a guest blog post published on Under the Vintage Veil. I’ve also been able to put some of her advice about web design into practice and hope that my new site will attract even more visitors. I’m currently writing a short e-book for visitors to download as well.
I would recommend Heidi to people who are just starting out in the wedding industry and are confused about how to get themselves established, because she has a friendly and approachable manner and avoids using too much industry specific language or jargon. I would also recommend Heidi to people who have already been in business for a while but feel as though they aren’t getting anywhere, as her advice is proactive and practical rather than broad and theoretical.
Heidi doesn’t do miracle cure-all solutions, but instead gives sensible advice for both short-term practical improvements and long-term business strategies”
Beth Paton (Mme B’s Boutique)
Where to find me online