I’m Heidi Thompson, a marketing maven for wedding pros who want to kick ass in business and get out of the dreaded feast or famine cycle of doom. I teach these awesome entrepreneurial ladies and gents how to do amazing marketing on a tiny budget and create a consistent flow of leads because in business, it doesn’t matter how good you are at what you do if no one knows about it.
If you want to take your business to an entirely new level, you’re in the right place my friend.
- My first business (aside from the occasional lemonade stand) was called Story Time and I helped neighborhood kids learn how to read. I love teaching and explaining.
- I’m from Detroit. Okay, I’m actually from a pretty nice suburb just outside Detroit but I love saying that to people and watching the look on their face followed by “Oh……that must be nice”. And then they usually ask me if 8 Mile is a realistic movie.
- I moved from the US to the UK in 2009 which ignited my passion for traveling. Nowadays, you can run a business and travel the world thanks to the internet. I don’t know about you, but that is crazy exciting to me.
- I have a bachelor’s degree in political science and a graduate degree in non-profit management.
- I’m a recovering overachiever. I had to learn that failing is okay and that was not easy. Before I even started school, I had an older friend who got a D and I apparently went and told my mom that I would never let that happen to me.
- I got into marketing when I volunteered to run and promote a World AIDS Day event for a charity.
- Everything I know about marketing comes from years of experience and learning from those who have mastered it in their own businesses. School just can’t teach you what self-made millionaires can.
- The idea for Evolve Your Wedding Business came to me when I was running The Alternative Wedding Fair. I kept seeing these incredible wedding professionals struggling because they weren’t getting enough business. Since my background is in marketing, I decided to do something about it.
My Geek List
- I love learning (but not school, that’s very different from learning) and reading. I actually used to ask my teachers for summer reading lists. I know I’m a total geek, but this gets even better. When I was 8 I decided to read the The Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud while lying out in the sun.
- I love musicals and I used to watch a lot of old movies as a kid. I get nostalgic watching movies like Singing In The Rain. More actors should know how to dance and sing.
- There aren’t many foods I don’t eat ketchup with. I’m pretty sure my body is at least 20% ketchup.
- Politics and social issues get me fired up and I love political satire. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report rock my world. I actually went to see The Colbert Report in New York and Stephen high-fived me. It made my week.
- I love astrophysics and quantum physics. The unknown fascinates me.
- I am a total marketing geek. I read marketing books and blogs in my spare time and I can’t even remember the last fictional book that I read. I find the psychology behind marketing and sales intriguing.
- I watch a lot of cartoons and I believe that getting old is a lifestyle choice. I’m a big fan of Spongebob Squarepants, Adventure Time, Regular Show, anything that Adult Swim produces and re-watching all of the late 80s/early 90s cartoons I grew up on.
- There is a Super Nintendo, a Sega Mega Drive and a Nintendo 64 in my living room. My husband and I try to play them regularly.
- Wayne’s World is my favourite movie of all time.
- My dad worked for Chrysler for almost 40 years so a love of cars was instilled in me from a young age. I LOVE American muscle cars. My dad used to drop me off at school in his yellow Corvette Stingray (1976-the best model year in my humble opinion) and I thought I was a total boss. It broke my heart when I had to buy a small car when I moved to the UK. If petrol were cheaper, I’d have a car with an insanely large motor.
Things People Have Said About Me
“Thank you very much for sending the information over to me. I love it!! It seems so straight forward and simple but I had not of thought of looking at marketing the way you have. Simple yet effective. I particularly loved the actions at the end and in particular the last point, building relationships with people who influence them. Very clever indeed.” -Martin Bell (Martin Bell Photography)
“Your advice was very straightforward and easy to follow. I like the fact that, rather than talking about marketing in theoretical terms and using lots of jargon, you suggest practical things to try out and break it down into achievable tasks. You seem to take the same approach with your e-books and blog posts too, which encouraged me to get in contact with you in the first place. Although there’s a lot of work still to do, I feel less overwhelmed by it after discussing it with you.” -Beth Paton (Mme B’s Boutique)
Where to find me online
Do you ever wonder why some suppliers have unbelievable success as a wedding fair exhibitor and others never see a return?
Well, there is definitely a formula to making wedding fairs work for your wedding business and, I'd like to share it with you. In this ebook, I'll reveal strategies that will help you get the most out of your next wedding fair. Just fill out the form to receive this free ebook!